A round up of the best language stories:
1. Polyglot Runs Into Another Polyglot And They Have A Casual Chat In 15 Languages
This video made me so happy. It's so much fun to meet another polyglot and to go back and forth with each other, speaking different languages. The best is when you can't remember something in one language so you use another language to describe it and your friend 'gets' it because you have that language in common too. Being able to communicate is the best feeling in the world. How many of the languages spoken here can you understand?
2. Six of Croatia's Can't-Miss Dishes
Even if you've never been to Croatia or had Croatian food, you have to check out the amazing looking photos of these savory meals! I cannot wait to be back in Croatia next month to have fresh fish on the Adriatic. I know my husband, Tomislav, is especially excited for Istrian Fuži (homemade pasta from Istria, Croatia) with truffles (tartufi). The ž in Croatian is pronounced like the sound in the middle of the English word "pleasure".
3. Why We Should Learn German by John le Carré
Was it love at first sound to you? :) To quote Charlemagne: “To have another language is to possess a second soul.” John le Carré notes that he might have added that to teach another language is to implant a second soul. It's more important now than ever to teach and spread understanding of German culture and life.
4. Croatia's First Underwater Winery Is Open to Visitors And you can take a dive to see it.
As one of the countries that drinks the most wine in the world, Croatia knows its vino. But now, the Balkan nation is taking it to the next level. Have you seen this underwater winery yet?
5. An American Speaking Polish About What He Loves About Poland
It takes a lot of courage to film (and POST) yourself speaking another language. It's such a humbling experience but it's incredible for you to hear yourself (and your progress) every once in a while! I absolutely love this video that my Dad sent me. The Foreign Citizen speaks excellent Polish and it's fun to listen to, especially during these difficult and controversial times.
Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for even more language links that I love.
Let me know which one is your favorite this week!
Learning how to say the Molitva Gospodnja (Lord's Prayer) also known as "Oče naš" in Croatian was a necessity for me when I began traveling to Croatia.
Whether you are going to a mass while you are on holiday in Croatia or you are attending a wedding, funeral, or other church service, you'll want to feel like you're able to participate.
Learn how to pray in Croatian by saying Our Father in Croatian:
1.) Ein Ferrari ist __________ als ein Bus. [schnell]
2.) Anna (1,50m) ist __________ als Lena (1,75m). [klein]
3.) Die Hauptstraße (5m) ist __________ als die Friedrichstraße (2m). [breit]
4.) 10 Kilo Gold sind __________ als 50 Kilo Silber. [leicht]
5.) Silber ist __________ als Gold. [billig]
6.) Der Mann (100 kg) ist __________ als die Frau (50 kg). [schwer]
7.) Unser Auto (150 km/h) ist __________ als das der Nachbarn (200 km/h). [langsam]
8.) Helmut (sehr gut) ist __________ als Helga (schlecht). [gut]
9.) Mein Vater (52 Jahre) ist __________ als meine Mutter (49 Jahre). [alt]
10.) 1000 Meter sind __________ als 100 Meter. [lang]
11.) Ein Apfel (1,20 Euro) ist __________ als eine Kartoffel (0,20 Euro). [teuer]
12.) 10 Meter sind __________ als 100 Meter. [kurz]
13.) Mein Bruder (12 Jahre) ist __________ als meine Schwester (15 Jahre). [jung]
14.) Dieter (1,90m) ist __________ als Manfred (1,80m). [groß]
15.) Der Mount Everest ist __________ als die Zugspitze. [hoch]
A round up of the best language stories:
1. Being bilingual is attractive. According to online dating service Plenty of Fish's latest language study findings, Americans think it's sexy to speak another language. Which languages do you think took the top spots as sexiest languages in the world? See the answer here.
2. 5 unexpectedly helpful Croatian phrases for your upcoming holiday to Croatia. Samo malo is such a good phrase that is never in any of the phrase books! Classic post written by my bestie, Elaine Ritchel, of Sante Fe Art Tours.
3. Have you heard about the Inter-Slavic Language in the making by a Czech Linguist and Croatian Anthropologist? It makes sense when you realize that in geographic Europe (from Portugal to Ural) there are mostly Slavic languages speakers - about 250 million or 32, 3 percent of European populations. Creating a common pan-Slavic language would be especially helpful for Google translate fails that we see too often when translating Slavic languages.
4. 8 Reasons You Should Never Swim in the Adriatic - Not what you would expect! If you're interested in traveling to Croatia, my dearest friends Sarah and Ivan run Royal Croatian Tours and will help you plan and achieve your perfect trip!
5. For a laugh, even if you don't speak German, 19 Signs The German Language Is Just Trolling Us - So funny!
6. Dharni, a revolutionary young beatboxer shows you how to learn how to beatbox by simply learning a few Polish words. You've got to hear this to believe it!
Tweet me your favorite language link of the week or leave a comment below!
Polish-American Polyglot, Language Expert, German Teacher, M.Ed., married to my dream guy, the Croatian Sensation. Let's connect!
I aim to provide as much free content as possible to help teach others around the world how to speak another language. I am trying out using affiliate links, which means that I may earn a tiny commission if you click on a link or make a purchase through a link posted here. All opinions and materials are my own, unless otherwise stated. If you use and like my materials, let me know! :)